FAQ - Newborn Session
- When should I schedule my newborn session?
The best time to schedule your newborn session is before you’ve had your baby, usually at the end of your second trimester or beginning of third. This will ensure that your due date will be secured on our calendar and that I am available when you deliver. I will tentatively schedule your session for your due date. When you have your baby, please contact me as soon as possible and we will schedule an actual date/time.
If your baby was just born and is less than 3 weeks old, call me today! I may have availability to photograph your little one.
- When do Newborn Sessions take place?
Newborn sessions usually take place when baby is between 3-14 days new. After a couple weeks, they don't like to sleep as deep and they don't tolerate the transition between setups very well. It also makes it more difficult to capture the "posed" newborn pictures because they loose the supple bend that allows them to contort to more of the womb like poses. Also, baby acne and colic are more common after 2 weeks. If your baby is older than 2 weeks, don’t worry, we can still capture beautiful photos-it may just take more effort on both ends and we will need to skip some of the poses you see.
- Where does the session take place?
Newborn sessions take place at my natural light indoor studio (or in your home if you choose the lifestyle newborn session).
- What can I expect for my session?.
- Mini Session: For this session, I will use my bean bag poser to photograph the "posed" newborn pictures as well as some floor baskets and props. (This session does not include parent or sibling pictures).
- Full Session: For the first part of the session, I will focus on the parent/ family/ sibling shots. For the rest of the session, I will focus on baby only pictures. I will incorporate the "posed" newborn pictures on my bean bag poser, use some floor baskets and props, etc.
- Lifestyle Session: This session takes place in the comfort of your home. I usually start in the baby's room/ nursery and take photos of baby and the details of the room. Then we will move to your bed and/or living room. (This session does not include any "posed" newborn pictures used with my bean bag poser).
- What should my baby wear?
- In Studio Session: You can put baby in any outfit you want, once you get to the studio, I usually prefer baby to just be in a diaper only. This is the time where I will take some bare skin shots and use my newborn wraps.
- Lifestyle Session: For the lifestyle photos, you can put baby in any outfit you want, or I recommend a neutral, plain color onesie (white, cream, grey, light pink, light blue, etc).
- What should parents/siblings wear?
You can wear whatever makes you comfortable. I would just stay away from clothes with patters, prints, or logos and be sure to stay away from bright colors. Neutral colors (even black or white tops) always photograph well! A lot of parents wear jeans paired with a simple black or white t-shirt, and it looks comfortable, casual and relaxed.
- We would like a photograph of our baby on or with a special prop (i.e.:guitar, hat, sports items, etc.) because it has special meaning. Can we do this?
I absolutely love incorporating mementos, or items that have special meaning to you and your family. We can discuss a way to use it that will be safe for the baby.
- When will my pictures be ready and how do I get them?
After your session, I will work on uploading and editing your images. This process may take up to 2 weeks (typically sooner). Once I am done editing the images, I will email you instructions to view all of the images from your session in an online gallery. From there, you will be able to share them with your friends and family, choose your favorite 20 images for download (which are included in your session package), and even order any professional prints/ products, or extra digital images you may want (NO obligation to order anything extra).
Please note that images are selected and edited at my discretion. Lauren Cherie Photography reserves the right to edit and release only those images deemed creditable as professional in quality and within my artistic standards. All photos are presented in color, and at my discretion certain images will be changed to black & white. Any changes or additional editing requested by the client may be subject to a fee. Please note: original, unedited "raw" images will not be released.